- This event has passed.
Learning Naturally Kids Bird Camp
July 2, 2019 - July 5, 2019
Presented by the Friends of Fish Creek and Nature Calgary
By participating in the Learning Naturally Kids Bird Camp program, you are not only providing an amazing learning opportunity for your child, but are also helping Calgary kids to make meaningful and life changing connections with nature. Registration fees for the Learning Naturally Kids Bird Camp will be matched up to 50% by Shaw Birdies for Kids presented by AltaLink (BFK), and used to support Learning Naturallyeducational programs in Fish Creek!
This camp is perfect for youth between 9 – 14 years of age, or going-into-grade-4 to going-into-grade-9, who have shown interest in birds and birding.
Youth can practice identifying local birds by size and shape, colour pattern, behaviour and habitat. There will be a full morning of bird watching in Fish Creek Provincial Park each day, and all walks are led by experienced Birding Guides.
The Friends of Fish Creek and Nature Calgary are very excited to offer your children the opportunity to engage in birding, which may lead to something even bigger – a field of study or career in ornithology! If we see a deer or moose, we will pause to talk about them, but our main focus will be about birds and the joy and excitement they can bring to your life, both now and in the future.
- Program Location: Fish Creek Provincial Park – The Theatre at the Bow Valley Ranch Visitor Centre will be used as a “home base”, though much of the program will take place outdoors.
- Group Size: Limited to 24 participants ages 9 – 14. For indoor activities, all participants will be together and for outdoor activities, groups of 6 – 8 participants with adult supervision, will enjoy an outdoor excursion in the morning and one in the afternoon.
- Program Leaders: Bird Camp’s two primary leaders were teachers in the Calgary school system and have had extensive birding experiences, which they want to share with your child. All other volunteers have a great deal of experience as birding guides in the Calgary area and Fish Creek Provincial Park. All volunteers have a current Police Information and Vulnerable Sector Check through the Friends of Fish Creek.
- Participants need to bring: clothes for weather (extra clothing layers, backpack, rain jacket, jacket, hat, bug spray, sun screen, good walking shoes), binoculars (if you have a pair), bird books (if you have one), water bottle, a litter-less lunch and snack, and knapsack.
- Participants will have access to the following during Bird Camp: journal which participants will get to keep. While in the program, participants will have access to binoculars, bird books, pencils, coloured pencils etc. Washrooms and water bottle filling fountain are located in the Visitor Centre.