Nature Calgary encourages the appreciation, observation, study, conservation and protection of the natural world in and around Calgary, Alberta. Our membership is diverse and our activities are open to naturalists of all skill levels, including children and adults. Here are some of the events and activities that we host for Calgarians:
- Birding, botany and natural history field trips to natural areas within the City of Calgary and in the surrounding region.
- Monthly presentations from special guests in our Speaker Series.
- An annual banquet with a featured guest.
- Nature Kids events for children and families.
- Presentations, field trips and meetings with the Bird Study Group.
If you or your family is interested in nature, then Nature Calgary has an event or activity for you.
Nature Calgary is a community of naturalists
A naturalist is anybody interested in natural history, including students and experts. As a community, we connect all ages to enjoy, appreciate, learn and share their knowledge in the plants, animals and landscapes right in your backyard. Everyone is welcome to join our community.
Through the years my participation in the field trips and speaker series have greatly enriched my natural history knowledge as well as my identification skills for wildflowers and birds.
Getting to know the other club members and the friendships that ensued has also greatly contributed to my enjoyment of being a member of Nature Calgary.
– John McFaul, Member since 1985
I joined Nature Calgary because I came across a posting for a field trip somewhere on the Internet. That was about 15 years ago. I enjoyed that trip and started to go on as many as I could. I soon realized that I was in the company of very knowledgeable, and very friendly and helpful people.
I never cease to admire the variety and expertise of speakers at these meetings.
– Andrew Hart, Nature Calgary member
Everything from birds to glaciers, conservation to mushrooms were presented at the meetings. This was the opportunity to once again enjoy the interests of my youth and to learn about the environment around me.
– Ian Ross, Member since 1996
Become a member
All Calgarians and those living in the surrounding area are welcome to join Nature Calgary. There are no prerequisites to membership and all membership fees goes toward our events, activities and the ongoing preservation of natural areas in and around Calgary.
Nature Calgary is a non-profit society of members. We are governed by a volunteer board of directors and every event and activity is led by our team of volunteers.
Here are the benefits of becoming a Nature Calgary member:
- Nature Calgary members can attend monthly presentations and field trips at no cost.
- For special events and our annual banquet, members receive a discount.
- Discounts at participating stores (10% discount at The Wild Bird Store and Fairplay Stores, 15% discount at Golden Acre Home and Garden Centre).
- Nature News delivered to your inbox with news, events and complete information on upcoming field trips.
- Join a community of naturalists interesting in learning, sharing, preserving and enjoying Calgary’s natural areas.
Nature Calgary member registration
Download the Nature Calgary Member’s Guide for complete instruction on creating and updating your membership.
We offer three types of memberships:
- Individual membership
- Family membership (for two adults and dependents)
- Post-secondary student membership (valid student ID required)
There are two ways to submit your membership application:
1. Fill out the online form (below): Payments can be made with a credit card through PayPal (a PayPal account is not required). Select your preferred membership type below to begin.
2. Submit payment via mail: Please download the membership application form and mail to Nature Calgary:
PO Box 981, Station M
Calgary, AB T2P 2K4
If you are renewing your membership, please log into your Nature Calgary account to update your membership. Click on “Renewals”. You can renew your existing membership at any time – your membership will be extended from the expiry date (not the renewal date).
Two adults and dependents
One person – valid post-secondary student ID required
If you have any issues with registration or membership payment, please contact email@example.com.
Already a Nature Calgary member?
Renew your membership or update your contact information by logging into your Nature Calgary account. Click on “Renewals” in your Nature Calgary account dashboard.